Georgia’s Outreach Team for Space (GOT Space)
About GOT Space:
GOT Space is a STEM outreach program in Georgia, managed through the Georgia Space Grant Consortium (GSGC), and utilizing its network of affiliates across Georgia. Current GSGC affiliate participation includes Georgia Institute of Technology (GSGC lead institution), Georgia State University, and Kennesaw State University. With additional affiliate institutions across Georgia, GOT Space expects to grow across the state in the years to come. GOT Space is currently recruiting and training GA undergraduates to serve as STEM Ambassadors to bring STEM focused presentations and hands-on activities about science, technology, and engineering to Georgia K-12 classrooms, museums, and youth programs.
GOT Space Mission:
to inspire an appreciation of STEM and STEM careers in Georgia K-12 students through the delivery of interactive presentations, hands-on activities, and other demonstrations by STEM graduate and undergraduate students, highlighting innovative science and engineering research relevant to NASA.
GOT Space Goals:
For K-12 Audiences
- Increase awareness of and interest in STEM research, programs, and careers in Georgia and at NASA
- Increase confidence with STEM topics
- Increase exposure to college role models
For STEM Ambassadors
- Increase 21st century skills such as science communication, public speaking, autonomy, and ability to adapt
- Increase science content knowledge
- Improve resume and provide networking opportunities
Interactive GOT Space presentations:
- Lasts approximately 45 minutes, with optional Hands-on Activities that require additional time.
- Utilize slides, videos, animations and an inquisitive approach to relay the excitement of new discoveries.
- Can be held in a classroom or assembly setting. A screen or blank wall and an electrical outlet are necessary for all presentations. Schools/ organizations may need to also provide projectors and/or audio speakers, though these items can be acquired if we know they will not be available at the location of the presentation in advance.
- GOT Space outreach can also occur virtually through Skype, Google Hangouts, Bluejeans, or other video conferencing software.
Current topics available for presentation:
- The STAR of our World
- Mars: Past, Present, and Future
- How to make a Planet… with Life!
- The International Space Station
- Space Telescopes: Searching for Other Worlds
- How the Milky Way Works
- Looking at Galaxies in Radio
- How to Measure Distances in the Universe
- Black holes
- How Galaxies and Their Black Holes are Connected
- and more…
Do you want to schedule a GOT Space presentation at your school, museum, or youth program? Complete the GOT Space request form.
Are you a currently enrolled Georgia college student interested in being a STEM Ambassador, please complete the GOT Space STEM Ambassador application.
Disclaimer: the GOT Space team will make every effort to accommodate outreach requests received, however please understand scheduling is dependent upon STEM Ambassador availability.